Editor’s Note: This infographic is intended to visualize the recent decisions made by the Department of Justice for the Consent Decrees. For more information on these decisions and how they could impact songwriters, please check out our post, “5 Things Songwriters Need to Know About the Consent Decree.” This post originally appears on the Soundstr Blog.
We encourage you to share this infographic image or download a printable PDF (with links), along with the hashtag #MusicTransparency on Facebook, Twitter and beyond. We kindly ask that you use it in its entirety and do not edit in any way. Thank you for respecting our work.
Soundstr uses recognition technology to identify real world music usage and offers new advertising opportunities for businesses and songwriters. This transparency offers businesses a way to negotiate PRO license fees based on actual music usage, and songwriters a way to earn royalties when their music is used in the real world. Soundstr is a venture-backed startup, founded by songwriters and leverages best-in-class recognition technology by Gracenote (Tribune). Click here to learn more about Soundstr.
- #1: “Antitrust Consent Decree Review – ASCAP and BMI 2014,” US Department of Justice. Accessed December 16, 2015 https://www.justice.gov/atr/ascap-bmi-decree-review
- #2: Christman, Ed. “Universal Music Publishing Strike Deal on BMI” – Billboard, January 22, 2015 http://www.billboard.com/biz/articles/news/publishing/5877140/universal-music-publishing-pandora-strike-deal-on-bmi
- #3: Our ASCAP 2015 Annual Report. http://www.ascap.com/~/media/files/pdf/about/annual-reports/2015-annual-report.pdf
- #4: BMI Annual Review 2015. http://www.bmi.com/pdfs/publications/2015/BMI_Annual_Review_2015.pdf
- Penick, Brian. “5 Things Songwriters Need to Know About the Consent Decree” – Soundstr Blog, July 13, 2016 https://126.96.36.199/5-things-consent-decree/
• Artwork: Corey Donovan
• Copy: Eron Bucciarelli-Tieger (@EronBucciarelli) & Brian Penick (@BrianPenick)
• Layout Assistant: Claire Muenchen
August 6, 2016
Many thanks for the knowledge. Im from Indonesia and would like to join as a member, is that possible? If it is hows the procedure and would like to learn as Im not presenting anyone since there is no Industries Platform in my country, thank you
November 16, 2016
[…] June of 2016, the Department of Justice proposed changes to the Consent Decrees. These agreements govern how ASCAPand BMI, the two biggest US rights organizations, operate. (SESAC […]
November 23, 2016
[…] June of 2016, the Department of Justice proposed changes to the Consent Decrees. These agreements govern how ASCAPand BMI, the two biggest US rights organizations, […]